(Press Release from New Hampshire Motor Speedway)
New Hampshire Motor Speedway will open for its historic 26th anniversary season of competition on April 16 with more than 250 on-track and off-track events scheduled through December.
Opening weekend will include a two-day driving school with the BMW Club of America’s White Mountain and Boston chapters on the 1.6-mile road course, while Club Loose will have a drifting event in the S3 parking lot.
“I think I can speak for everyone here at the speedway that we are incredibly eager to get things going this season,” said David McGrath, executive vice president and general manager of NHMS. “It’s been a mild winter for us up here in the Northeast, but it has still been a long time since we’ve heard the wonderful hum of race cars and motorcycles on our track. I can’t wait.”
Major events this season will include two NASCAR weekends and the 93rd annual Loudon Classic along with the 10th annual Formula Hybrid Competition, Vintage Celebration with Hot Import Nights, Extreme Chunkin and the 24 Hours of Lemons.
Local racing series will highlight on-track action with the Loudon Road Race Series, Moat Mountain Road Course Series (Legends), Sign Works Oval Series (Legends), Pro Wraps Bandolero Series as well as sports car clubs, NASCAR-inspired driving schools, motorcycle riding schools and Speedway Children’s Charities events.
New events off-track this year include Tough Mudder, a 10-12 mile endurance event with military-style obstacle courses on Aug. 13 and 14, and the Red, White and Brews four-mile relay race on July 1.
While the on-track events will end in October, the holiday season will kick off with the Gift of Lights, a three-mile drive-through illumination show benefiting Speedway Children’s Charities, which runs from Nov. 25 through New Year’s Eve.
- April-Oct. – Loudon Road Race Series (motorcycle racing)
- May-Sept. – Legends: Moat Mountain Road Course Series & Sign Works Oval Series (purpose-built race car designed to resemble the legendary American automobiles of the 1930s and’ 40s)
- May-Sept. – Pro Wraps Bandolero Series (smaller and easier to drive, this series serves as a stepping stone to the more powerful legends car)
- May 1-5 – 10th Annual Formula Hybrid (interdisciplinary design and engineering challenge for undergraduate and graduate university students)
- May 5 – Safe Kids 500 (fun, free, family event hosted by Speedway Children’s Charities, where families can bike around the Magic Mile)
- May 7-8 – New Hampshire Soapbox Derby (since 1939, the New Hampshire Soap Box Derby has held youth racing events that are open to boys and girls between the ages of 7 through 20.)
- May 14-15; June 16-26 – Rusty Wallace Driving Experience (NASCAR-inspired racing school/ride-a-long program)
- July 1 – Red, White and Brews Relay (four-mile relay)
- June 4-5; Aug. 5-7 – NASCAR Experience (NASCAR-inspired racing school/ride-a-long program)
- June 11-19 – 93rd Annual Loudon Classic Motorcycle Week (featuring concerts, arrive & drives and motorcycle racing)
- July 14-17 – New Hampshire 301 NASCAR Weekend (featuring the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series, NASCAR XFINITY Series, NASCAR Whelen Modified Tour and the NASCAR K&N Pro Series East)
- Aug. 13-14 – Tough Mudder (10- to 12-mile military-style obstacle course)
- Aug. 25-26 – Vintage Racing Celebration (a tribute to the race cars of yesteryear)
- Aug. 27 – Hot Import Nights (an auto show inspired by cars seen in the Fast and the Furious movies)
- Sept. 16-18 – Richard Petty Driving Experience (NASCAR-inspired racing school/ride-a-long program)
- Sept. 22-25 – New England 300 NASCAR Weekend (featuring the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series, NASCAR Camping World Truck Series, NASCAR Whelen Modified Tour and the American-Canadian Tour)
- Oct. 15-16 – Extreme Chunkin (teams use trebuchets, catapults and air cannons to launch pumpkins and other extreme items)
- Oct. 22-23 – 24 Hours of Lemons (endurance circuit for cars costing $500 or less)
- Oct. 23 – Millennium Half Marathon (the starting line for the 13.1-mile run to the New Hampshire State House in Concord)
- Nov. 25-Dec. 31 – The Gift of Lights (a three-mile long drive-thru illumination show that showcases more than two million LED lights in over 400 displays)
- Dec. 11 – Yule Light Up The Night (charity run/walk through the Gift of Lights holiday-themed display