Editor’s Note: Four days after announcing their championship format, MTS organizers announced a restructuring of the plan. Check below for more details.
STAFFORD – When the Exit Realty Modified Touring Series hits the track in 2017 for its inaugural season drivers will be competing for a series title in a unique format for a Modified division.
During an informational meeting Saturday at Stafford Motor Speedway, Modified Touring Series officials announced their Sunoco Race Fuels Quest for the Cup championship format.
The series will run ten events during its inaugural season, including two at Stafford Motor Speedway.
The format will see a system where 12 drivers will advance to a Chase type system to decide the series champion.
The first five events will set the 12-teams that will advance to the four-race championship segment of the season. Drivers must compete in the first six events of the season to qualify for championship contention.
The season points will be based on a system of one point per position with two bonus points awarded to race winners. A win in the first five events will advance a team automatically to the championship segment. After race winners, the remainder of the 12-team championship segment will be set by series points.
At race six the points for the 12 teams in the championship segment will be reset to 300 with bonus points for wins transferring only to race six.
There will be no eliminations following race six. After race seven the two teams lowest in the standings will be eliminated with the race winner guaranteed to advance. There will then be four eliminations after race eight with the race winner again guaranteed advancement. There will be one elimination after race nine.
Race 10 of the season will be a championship event with five teams racing for the title. Points will be zeroed out for the five teams and the series championship will be decided by running order in the final event.
“Nobody pays attention to points anymore,” series founder Gary Knight said. “Jon McKennedy won six races last year [on the Valenti Modfied Racing Series] and did anybody care that he was going to win the championship? Here, these guys, like a Mike Holdridge or a Joe Doucette, they were a 15th or 12th place car under that old system of points. Now they can win or transfer to a championship race. [McKennedy] could get knocked out with a bad night in race seven and be gone. Anybody now in their shop working on their car can say they actually have a chance to win the championship here.”
The series title will pay a guaranteed champion’s purse of $10,000. Knight said series officials are hoping to pay a point fund of $40,000 over the top-15 teams in the standings.
“It’s pretty neat,” said driver Chris Pasteryak, who has committed to running full-time with the series. “I think it’s cool. It’s something different anyway. The idea is to actually have something that’s worth watching the last three or four races. Nobody is doing it for a living at this level so the chance of you being able to put your best foot forward, even for 10 races, if you don’t have anybody on your car fulltime, nobody here is a fulltime racer, it could be pretty neat. It’s going to hopefully allow somebody different to have a really good year.
“I hope it’s neat. I hope it’s a lot of fun. The purse is good. The point fund is good. There’s actually a point fund there. … Hopefully it goes along. It’s a nice schedule, it’s a nice series and there’s some people that really want to see it succeed. Gary has a lot of enthusiasm and he seems to really be working for it.”
Check the link for the new plan announced on March 8: Quest for the Cup Revision