It was announced by NASCAR on Thursday morning that the sanctioning body will terminate its NASCAR Whelen All-American Series sanction with the New London-Waterford Speedbowl.
NASCAR will also cancel the July 22 Whelen Modified Tour event that had been scheduled to be run at the Speedbowl.
“NASCAR has terminated the NASCAR Whelen All-American Series sanction and the NASCAR Whelen Modified Tour race sanction with the New London-Waterford Speedbowl, effective immediately,” read a statement from NASCAR regarding the situation.
NASCAR cited actions detrimental to the sports for the decision.
New London-Waterford Speedbowl track owner Bruce Bemer was charged last week with patronizing a trafficked person.
The decision to drop the sanction means the track will not be recognized as part of NASCAR’s national short track racing program and drivers at the track will not be eligible to race for national short track titles. It also means drivers at the track will not be eligible for the insurance provided as part of being a NASCAR member.
Bemer was the high bidder in a foreclosure auction of the Speedbowl in October 2014.
Scott Gregory, who is currently overseeing management of the facility, said last week that track officials expect the facility to open as scheduled for Blastoff Weekend May 6-7. Gregory said by text Thursday morning, “Sorry but we have no comment at this time.”
On Tuesday Tom Fox led a group of high ranking New London-Waterford Speedbowl officials who announced their resignations from the track.