In January Tom Fox celebrated his return to what he called his “favorite track” when it was announced that he would return to a position he had previously held as the racing director at the New London-Waterford Speedbowl.
Tuesday Fox announced that he is resigning from his race director’s position at the track. Fox cited issues surrounding the recent arrest of track owner Bruce Bemer for his decision to walk away from the position.
Fox is part of a group of a number of track officials resigning, including the track’s chief steward and chief handicapper/scorer.
Bemer was charged last week with patronizing a trafficked person.
“I’m uncomfortable with a working relationship as close I have on the organizational chart with Bruce,” Fox told RaceDayCT. “It’s too close for me to be comfortable with the allegations that are involved.
“I’ve asked him repeatedly to put out some sort of a press release to explain that we’re going to try to move forward and that he was going to step away from everything, to try to do some damage control and I can’t make that happen in a timely fashion that works for me personally. It’s just a personal decision. I respect everybody’s position on how they feel and how they’re going to react to all this. This is how I’m handling my decision.”
Chief steward Eric Webster, who had served as racing director last year, also confirmed to RaceDayCT that he has resigned his position. Webster is the son of the late Charlie Webster, a four-time track champion at the Speedbowl. Eric Webster spent 11 seasons as a competitor at the track and has been an official at the facility since 1996.
Chief handicapper/scorer Julie Winsor, who has been an official at the track since 1995, also confirmed to RaceDayCT that she resigned her position with the track on Tuesday. Linda Corliss, who has also worked as an official overseeing events at the track since 1995, also confirmed to RaceDayCT that she will be resigning from the track.
The 53-year old Fox turned his first laps in competition at the Speedbowl when he was 15 years old. After a long and successful career in competition at the track, he took on a official’s role at the facility and served as the track’s race director from 2009 to 2011.
“It was a very tough decision, as my heart is with the competitors down there, many of whom I grew up with, raced against and respect on and off the track,” Fox said.
Fox also serves as the director of racing operations at Stafford Motor Speedway, a position he has held since 2012.
Scott Gregory, who is currently overseeing management of the facility, was not immediately available for comment. Gregory said last week that track officials expect the facility to open as scheduled for Blastoff Weekend May 6-7.
Bemer was the high bidder in a foreclosure auction of the Speedbowl in October 2014.