Reports Indicate NHMS NASCAR Cup Series Weekend Could Be Moving To August

Two independent reports published late Friday indicate that NASCAR is expected to rescheduled the Cup Series Foxwoods Resort Casino 301 to August.

Autoweek and The Athletic each reported Friday that NASCAR will release an extension of its national series schedule next week. Both outlets reported that NASCAR provided teams with the new schedule update Friday.

Since restarting national series racing in mid-May, NASCAR has released two chunks of reconfigured schedules for its three national divisions. The most recent section that was released runs through June 21 with events being run through that time with no fans in attendance.  

According to the two independent reports, NASCAR will next release its reconfiguration of the schedule running through early August. 

According to the published reports, NASCAR will move the Cup Series Foxwoods Resort Casino 301 from Sunday July 19 to Sunday Aug. 2. 

New Hampshire Motor Speedway executive vice president and general manager David McGrath was not immediately available for comment on Saturday morning. 

The currently published schedule at New Hampshire Motor Speedway has the NASCAR Whelen Modified Tour and NASCAR Xfinity Series running events at New Hampshire Motor Speedway on July 18. 

McGrath told RaceDayCT on Wednesday that he was still hoping to keep all events as scheduled for the July weekend but indicated that changes could be coming. 

“Everything is so fluid, there’s a lot of moving parts,” McGrath told RaceDayCT Wednesday. “Right now my goal is that everything is the way it’s supposed to be, nothing is changed. But I also understand that our business has to react. It’s like a big jigsaw puzzle where we kind of have to fit pieces in where we can. And I think at the end of the day, 2020 for a lot of reasons is going to be an asterisk year where it’s just going to be what it is.”

The reports published Friday offered no details for companion events that were scheduled originally in Loudon for the July 17-19 Foxwoods Resort Casino 301 weekend. 

NASCAR announced Friday that the NASCAR Whelen Modified Tour would kick off its season with the Wade Cole Memorial 133 presented by Dunleavy’s Truck & Trailer on June 21 at Jennerstown Speedway. The event will mark a new addition to the 2020 events for the scheduled. The originally scheduled May 23 Whelen Modified Tour event at Jennerstown Speedway has been postponed to Aug. 22.  

The Whelen Modified Tour is also scheduled to run the Musket 200 at New Hampshire Motor Speedway on Sept. 12. 

The COVID-19 outbreak shutdowns have wreaked havoc on the original 2020 Whelen Modified Tour schedule. Of the first seven scheduled events, six have been postponed indefinitely and one – at Martsinville Speedway – has been cancelled. NASCAR also was already forced to cancel a July event for the series at Iowa Speedway. A reduced purse event at Myrtle Beach Speedway had been announced last week to be run today, but that event was postponed by NASCAR on Wednesday due to a stormy weather forecast. 

The Whelen Modified Tour was originally slated to open its 2020 season at South Boston (Va.) Speedway on March 21. That event was postponed indefinitely. 

The series was then scheduled to run the Liquid Death Icebreaker 150 at Thompson Speedway on April 5. The event was originally postponed to May 16th and then postponed indefinitely. The NAPA Spring Sizzler 200 was originally slated for April 26, was postponed to May 31 and now remains postponed indefinitely. 

The May 8 event for the series at Martinsville (Va.) Speedway was supposed to mark the fourth event of the season and the division’s first event at the track since 2010 before NASCAR announced the cancellation of the Martinsville event. The sanctioning body also has announced the cancellation of the July 31 event at Iowa Speedway, which would have marked the debut for the series at that facility. 

The Whelen Modified Tour also postponed an event scheduled for June 6 at Seekonk (Mass.) Speedway and the event scheduled for June 20 at Riverhead (N.Y.) Raceway.

Comments

  1. wmass01013 says

    i would keep the WMT race in July and let the Cup Series have August, add a MRS race to WMT week end or ACT or BOTH

  2. Dale Jr interviewed Bruton’s grandson this week. He seemed to indicate fans returning to the track by August. Infield camping is probably gone for a while. Parking lot camping shouldn’t be an issue though. Sounds like Nascar would like to keep the playoff schedule as is but it may be beyond their control.

    NHMS’s sweet spot for a race will always be September. The heat (or lack of lights) is always going to be their biggest hurdle. Until there are fans I’m good with Nascar staying in the south. I don’t see the point of them driving to Loudon or Pocono to race in front of empty grandstands. The tv revenue is still shared regardless of where they race this year.

    I’m loving this midweek cup racing. I seriously hope Nascar brings it back next year. If done right, it would give drivers more weekends off and give Nascar the ability to end the season earlier this creating a longer off-season.

  3. i work for a living (still) my time off doesn’t work for august ! company i work for don’t give a damn

Speak Your Mind

*

Copyright 2018 E-Media Sports

Website Designed by Thirty Marketing