On Tap Presented By Four Seasons By The Lake: Whelen Mod Tour NAPA Spring Sizzler 200 At Stafford


Where: Stafford Motor Speedway

What: NASCAR Whelen Modified Tour NAPA Spring Sizzler 200 and NASCAR Whelen All-American Series Racing card

When: Friday

Schedule: 200-lap NASCAR Whelen Modified Tour, 40-lap NASCAR Whelen All-American Series SK Modified, 30-lap Late Model, 20-lap SK Light Modified, 20-lap Limited Late Model and 20-lap Street Stock. Grandstands open: 4:15 p.m.; Qualifying: 6:15 p.m.; Features: Immediately following qualifying.

More: The second event of the season at Stafford Motor Speedway. … The Whelen Modified Tour NAPA Spring Sizzler 200 was originally scheduled for April 28, postponed to May 5 and then postponed to May 10. Should the event be postponed Friday the scheduled rain date is Saturday May 11. … The Whelen Modified Tour had two practice sessions on April 27 at Stafford before rain forced the first of two postponements of the event. … The fourth of 16 Whelen Modified Tour events in 2019 and first of three events for the series this year at Stafford Speedway. Doug Coby (Myrtle Beach (S.C.) Speedway, March 16), Ron Silk (South Boston (Va.) Speedway and Justin Bonsignore (April 7, Thompson Speedway) have wins this year. … Ryan Preece, who is now competing full-time on the NASCAR Monster Energy Cup Series, won last year’s NAPA Spring Sizzler 200. … Coby, the five-time series champion, leads all active Whelen Modified Tour drivers with 11 career series victories at Stafford. Coby leads the series standings. Patrick Emerling sits seven points behind Coby in the standings in second place with Jimmy Blewett in third, eight points off the lead. Reigning Whelen Modified Tour champion Justin Bonsignore is seventh in standings, 25 points behind Coby. Bonsignore has 21 Whelen Modified Tour victories, but is winless in 34 starts at Stafford dating back to 2010. … Sammy Rameau leads the Whelen Modified Tour rookie standings. … Stafford Speedway SK Modified division regular Joey Cipriano and Stafford SK Light Modified division regular Mark Bakaj will both attempt to make their Whelen Modified Tour debuts on Sunday. … Stafford Motor Speedway hosted it’s “Opening Day” event on May 4. … Keith Rocco won the season opening SK Modified feature. … Michael Gervais Jr. sits second in the SK Modified standings, two points behind Rocco. Mike Christopher Jr. is third in the standings, four points off the lead. … Michael Wray was declared the winner of the season opening Late Model feature after Kevin Gambacorta was disqualified from victory for using an illegal shock. … Michael Bennett sits second in the Late Model standings, two points behind Wray. Reigning Late Model champion Tom Fearn is third in the standings, four points off the lead. … Bryan Narducci won the opening SK Light Modified feature. … Teddy Hodgdon sits second in the SK Light Modified standings, two points behind Narducci. Noah Korner is third in the standings, four points behind Narducci. … Reigning Limited Late Model champion Jeremy Lavoie won the division’s season opening event. Gary Patnode sits second in the Limited Late Model standings, two points behind Lavoie with Matthew Clement in third, four points off the lead. … Michael Hopkins won the season opening Street Stock feature. … Meghan Fuller sits two points behind Hopkins in the Street Stock standings in second with Travis Hydar in third, four points behind Hopkins. … For more information check the Stafford Motor Speedway website.

Comments

  1. Looking like Saturday.

  2. Sharpie Fan says:

    Same time as Friday or more like last Saturday’s schedule if they use the rain date?

  3. Rich Gourley says:

    What are the plans if Friday is another wash out ? As of right now it says 100% chance of rain during the day with .25″ of rain and 70% chance of rain/thunder Friday night.

  4. Rich,
    This sentence is in the story you just commented on: Should the event be postponed Friday the scheduled rain date is Saturday May 11.

  5. Please, Stafford is sticking to the Friday date for now because it was set and you stick with what you set until you’re right on the doorstep of the monsoon. Shows resolve.
    In reality Saturday with it’s near perfect weather is calling. Beckoning Stafford to pull the trigger and make the change. After all it’s just another rain date isn’t it? But such a beautiful rain date. Come on Stafford you know you want to.
    And when you do welcome Saturday into your arms and hopefully sooner then later all of modified nation will cheer in celebration that the rain gods have finally decided to take a day off.
    Hopefully!

  6. Fast Eddie says:

    I understand them wanting to get it done on their traditional Friday race day. It also gives more opportunities for everyone to be home for Mother’s Day. However, Friday with 90% chance of rain vs. Saturday with only 10% and partial sun in the afternoon? From a business perspective I would bet a lot more people are willing to plan and be able to attend Saturday than Friday night, as in a chance to recover more of what was lost on the first attempt to run it. Case in point: I’m trying to decide how early I can leave on Friday vs. how much traffic I’ll hit vs. when the boss will let me leave work. None of that exists on Saturday; I can be there from the time the gates open until the end.

  7. Few questions. It says qualifying at 6.15, features following. Are they running heats for all the divisions or just Mod Tour qualifying? I know originally they were running heats for the two day show but in the interest of time on a one day show it might be wise to cancel local heats. Then again it is Stafford and time and length of program doesn’t seem to be of any concern to them. If they aren’t running heats, What do they do if they have more cars then starting positions in the SKs, SK lights, limiteds? If they have to go to Saturday because of what is predicted will they then run heats for the local divisions like they were going to do originally? Is the rain date Saturday day or Saturday night? Best of luck to Stafford, after last week I am going to sit this one out, regroup and come back strong with an extra large seat cushion for the next Friday night.

  8. Sharpie Fan says:

    They will probably just do features and do the lineups with the top 18 in points pre-qualified and the top 15 handicapped. Only if there are more than 27 cars signed in would they have to run a consi.

  9. Fast Eddie says:

    CG, if the show runs Friday night, they won’t run heats, although they might run consi’s. I’ve seen that before on a tour night. The top 18 are handicapped by track points. I think that’s why they were trying to get last week’s event run, so they could set the fields for Friday. If it does go off on Saturday I think it would be cool start early and run the whole event including heats. Maybe they don’t have to wait until noon to run cars on a Saturday.

  10. Great news. Stafford Motor Speedway cut the laps of the Limited late models down to 15 laps for the Saturday show. They are still running them before the good stuff but this is some progress that maybe they realize watching 6 cars do circles is slightly more palatable running less laps than more laps, Now what I don’t understand, if they run Friday with considerably less time available the limiteds are back to 20 laps. Hopefully this is just an error and the reduction in laps is in place for Friday as well. I would hope the adjustment in laps would be utilized for all future shows. Still, I would be interested in finding out why Stafford doesn’t run the limiteds and late models together when they have less than 30 combined. If you combine them they have a good field, I noticed it the change when looking at the schedule posted in the live updates section of this website.. And like fast Eddie and Sharpie stated they aren’t running heats for locals just consi’s if necessary. Odd that they would run more laps when they have less time and less laps when they have more time. If anything it should be the opposite.

Speak Your Mind

*

Copyright 2018 E-Media Sports

Website Designed by Thirty Marketing